Computational Design Methods
The aim of this course is to give you an overview and basic knowledge in a selection of most important computational design methods and tools.
These include (i) the basics of parametric modelling, (ii) an introduction to programming with C#, and (iii) to Building Information Modelling (BIM) with Revit and Dynmao, (iv) an overview of spatial analysis methods, (v) first steps in the application of evolutionary algorithms to optimize design-related aspects, (vi) insights in new web technologies to visualize your own data, and (vii) an introduction to VR / AR using Unity.
The objective of the course is to introduce you to various computational tools and the corresponding thinking. We connect the individual tools in the context of a case study to work on a continuous story during the course. At the end of the course, you have a clear idea of how current computational methods can support and enrich your design processes.
We intend to raise your interest with the individual lectures and the required assignments to explore the introduced technologies in more detail. We show you how and where to start the journey, but we only scratch the surface of the presented topics. You have to dive deeper!
The knowledge provided through online seminars is deepened in personal consultations and documented in several exercises.
You do not need any special previous knowledge but an interest in digital tools and computer programming.
- Lectures 72
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 108 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 132
- Assessments Self
Introduction to the course.
Design & Computation Theory :: Opens 10. Oct. 2018
The module covers the theoretical foundations for computational design.
- Design & Computation I – What is design?
- Design & Computation II – Design Strategies
- Task: Design Recipes
- Design & Computation III – Automating Design Processes
- Further Readings
- Design Models I – Introduction to the Generation of Forms
- Design Models II – Computer Aided Drawing
- Design Models III – 3D Modeling
- Design Models IV – Parametric Design Representations
- Excursus: Ivan Sutherlands Sketchpad (1962)
- Preparation for Next Week!
Parametric Modelling :: 17. Oct. 2018
The module provides the basis for parametric modelling with Grasshopper for Rhino 3D.
Introduction to Programming I :: Opens 24. Oct. 2018
This module introduces you to programming with C# in Grasshopper for Rhino 3D.
Introduction to Programming II :: Opens 07. Nov. 2018
The module introduces the implementation of 2D and 3D Cellular Automata by using C# for Grasshopper in Rhino 3D.
BIM Revit & Dynamo :: Opens 14. Nov. 2018
Design Analysis I - Daylight :: Opens 23. Nov. 2018
In this module you learn how to analyse the daylight performance of a building design.
Design Analysis II - Visibility :: Opens 28. Nov. 2018
In this module you learn how to analyse visibility as a behaviourally and experientially relevant feature of a building design.
- Visibility I – Vision & Environment
- Submission -Vision & Environment Example
- Visibility II.1 – Isovist
- Visibility II.2 – Object Visibility
- Visibility II.3 – Isovist Properties
- Visibility II.4 – Isovist Path
- Additional Tutorial – Creating an animation of the Isovist Path
- Visibility II.5 – Isovist Field
- Additional Tutorial – 3D Isovist
- Assignment – Visibility Analysis [CDM]
- Alternaitve E-Mail Assignment – Visibility Analysis [CDM]
- Further Readings – Visibility
Design Analysis III - Spatial Relations :: Opens 05. Dec. 2018
In this module you learn how to analyse spatial relations as a behaviourally and experientially relevant feature of a building design.
- Spatial Relations I – Graph based representations of the environment
- Spatial Relations II – Convex Maps
- Spatial Relations III – Axial Maps & Segment Maps
- Spatial Relations IV – Visual and metrical relations in a grid of points
- Tutorial – Calculating Spatial Relations with Revit/Dynamo
- Assignment – Spatial Relations [CDM]
- Alternaitve E-Mail Assignment – Spatial Relations [CDM]
- Further Readings – Spatial Relations
Webmaps :: Opens 19. Dec. 2018
In this module you learn how to bring your designs from Rhino/Grasshopper to a website via Mapbox
Unity for VR/AR :: Opens 09. Jan. 2019
In this module we show you how to bring your design to Unity and create a VR/AR model out of it.
Conclusion :: Opens 30. Jan. 2019