Design by Research – Online Modules
This course is accompanying the design studio “Design by Research”. Here you find all online lectures and exercises that are used for the studio or its two accompanying seminars “Parametric Building Information Modeling” and “Computational Methods for User-Centered Architectural Design”.
- Lectures 43
- Quizzes 0
- Duration 50 hours
- Skill level All levels
- Language English
- Students 127
- Assessments Yes
Introduction to the course
Design and its computational representation
In this module we are dealing with the process of designing and how this process can be represented computationally.
In this module you will learn the principles of design modeling and its tools from 2D to parametric building information modeling.
In this module you will learn how to analyse daylight as a behaviourally and experientially relevant feature of a building design.
In this module you will learn how to analyse visibility as a behaviourally and experientially relevant feature of a building design.
- Visibility I – Vision & Environment
- Submission -Vision & Environment Example
- Visibility II.1 – Isovist
- Visibility II.2 – Object Visibility
- Visibility II.3 – Isovist Properties
- Visibility II.4 – Isovist Path
- Additional Tutorial – Creating an animation of the Isovist Path
- Visibility II.5 – Isovist Field
- Additional Tutorial – 3D Isovist
- Task – Visibility Analysis
- Submission – Visibility Analysis
- Further Readings – Visibility
Analysing Spatial Relations
- Spatial Relations I – Graph based representations of the environment
- Spatial Relations II – Convex Maps
- Spatial Relations III – Axial Maps & Segment Maps
- Spatial Relations IV – Visual and metrical relations in a grid of points
- Tutorial – Calculating Spatial Relations with Revit/Dynamo
- Task – Analyse spatial relationships in your flat!
- Submission – Spatial Relations
- Exercise Review – Typical Mistakes
- Further Readings – Spatial Relations
In this section you gain knowledge about different aspects on user-centered design of buildings, by watching the videos of your classmates and commenting on them.